Cory found a lump in his armpit a couple of months ago. It was kind of painful. I told him to soak in a hot bath and not put on deodorant for a few days and see if it helped. He did and the lump got smaller but it never went away. I called and got him an appointment with the Dr today. He gave him antibiotics and ordered an ultrasound. Not sure when it will be since things move slow with NHS. They mail you a letter telling you when your appointment is. You don't get much say. Hopefully it's nothing and will go away. The Dr also said it was mobile which is good. I guess bad lumps are stuck in one spot.
In other medical news, Tristan's iron is still low so they want him to keep taking supplements which he doesn't like and we forget about a lot. If he were not such a picky eater maybe I could just get him to eat foods higher in iron. His thyroid is still testing borderline and in the states many places have narrowed the normal range and his TSH would be considered high. They do not want to give him synthroid but I think it would help him feel better. I may ask for a referral to an endocrinologist instead of just a pediatrician.
I am taking Avery to the Dr Wednesday to get a referral for autism spectrum assessment. He was diagnosed with CAPD and PDD NOS in Utah but the full range of testing wasn't done nor a good report to go with it. The education specialist at school told me it would be good to get a full report and diagnosis here so they can use even more resources to assist him and to help me be prepared when we move back to the states. The teachers at Avery's school have been really great. I am so thankful for them. I am also very thankful for a school system that puts children first and supports parents. In the states I always feel like I have to fight the system because their priority is not helping children but instead about how little can they spend on them. I recently watched the Temple Grandin TED talk and movie and I see many similarities with my Aiden and Avery although not the same, each child is unique. What I really connected to was the role of her mother in the movie. You do tend to blame yourself when things don't seem quite right with your children and it's very painful to see others make fun of your child for being different. I like how the mom instilled in her that she was different but not less. I love my children for who they are and don't even notice their quirks until I see them with their peers. As a family you live together and love each other and that becomes your normal. I think I may have even picked up some of their ways because that's how I'm used to living. Then you go out into the big big world and there are all of these expectations and norms and that's when things can get frustrating. I don't see the prevalence of autism spectrum disorders as a disability. I wonder if it's all part of human evolution, maybe the future needs those kinds of thinkers. They are gifted and bright kids. If anything they are exceptional because they are not bothered with silly social stuff. They don't gossip or betray you. They are genuine, kind, loving, and rule followers. Maybe we are the deficient ones. I try not to let these struggles get me down and remember that The Lord sent them to me because he knew I was best suited to love and support them. Aiden is doing well by the way. He still needs to work on being positive and not being so easily offended by the other boys his age though. Tristan is doing better with keeping up with his assignments I think. He has little run ins with other boys at times but I think he dishes it out as much as he gets it. Lidia gets along well with everyone and enjoys school. She just needs to study more. She just doesn't study unless forced and we don't have time to force her. She needs to mature and accept responsibility for her education.
She is singing a solo at New Beginnings Friday and giving a talk in church on Sunday.
I am glad we have not had a cold icy winter like in the states but I'll be so happy when it's gone. The darkness is so hard to deal with. My body gets so out of whack. I think it affects the kids too. I have especially noticed Avery being so grumpy this winter and can't think what else it could be. He has struggled getting along with others at church and school again too and he had been doing so well for a long time. We need sunshine! I'm taking vitamin D and it seems to help me a bit as well as turning all the lights on during the day. I'll ask the Dr Wednesday if he has any advice.
We added dental insurance this year. It is so expensive here and since it's out of network we only get a portion back but it's better than nothing. All three boys will need braces when we move back and you have to pay in for a year before orthodontic coverage kicks in. We don't go to a NHS dentist. There is a long wait for those appointments and the good dentists don't participate. Avery recently had a filling and it was like two hundred bucks! Our insurance will probably reimburse forty. I have not been here. I'm fine to wait till we move back home if I can. I hate people messing with my teeth.