Saturday, February 18, 2017

Vocational Rehab

I must thank Aiden's lovely teacher, Mrs Allen. She told me about vocational rehabilitation services which I had never heard of before. I am so used to feeling like there are not very many resources available to my children and that the ones we get I have had to fight for. It has been so nice to work with people eager and willing to help. Because of Aiden's disabilities and diagnoses, this program will assist him in getting a job and the job Aiden says he wants is that of a graphic designer so they are going to pay for him to go to Weber to get a degree in Graphic Design and if he needs tutoring they will provide that and if he needs transportation they will give him a bus pass etc. He just has to go full time which is 12 hrs a semester and he has to keep up his grades. When he decides the time is right to go on a mission he will lose services but he can just apply again when he gets back and he would qualify but you don't know if there will be a waiting list or not. This time he was priority over anyone on the waiting list so he didn't have to wait. What a blessing! Weber State also offers services for students that need it like recording lectures, private test taking rooms, or getting a scribe to take notes for you etc. I need to set up an appointment to go meet with the advisors at Weber and get Aiden a tour.

The youth went ice skating Wednesday night and Tristan did better with his straight leg than last year but he still doesn't love it. He and most of the deacons skated half the time and played up high in the stands the rest of the time. This was Avery's first try and he didn't want to but Cory talked him into one lap and that's what he did, holding onto Cory and the wall the whole time for dear life. At least he tried! Aiden did ok as did Cory. I don't dare go out there. I would break something for sure. I am not a good skater, esp on ice.

I watched Oliver Tuesday afternoon so Micah and Lisa could go to a movie. He is a busy little boy now that he is mobile. He bumped his face on the crib the other day and got a little black eye.

Tristan had to have a flour baby this week at school for teen living class. He put Oliver's picture on it and named it Oliver and carried it around in a baby carrier on his chest. He was so glad not to have to carry that extra ten pounds around anymore this afternoon. He only weighs 88 pounds so ten pounds is more than 10% of his weight.

Avery did a good job on his medieval castle project. He is very proud.

The boys enjoyed the Lego Batman movie. It was funny but I couldn't stay awake.

I found some fun old pictures of me and Cory from 1996.