Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Sick

When people say sick here they mean vomiting and that's what I've got today, a little boy home from school because he was vomiting this morning. Poor Avery, I guess primary schools are full of germs. He's a real trooper though. He went to the bathroom and then came out and told me that he vomited four times in the toilet. I told him to rest and try to eat a little something for breakfast and see if he can keep it down. It's eleven now and so far no more vomit, just a tired boy watching cartoons on Netflix. He made sure to tell me to call the school and let them know he was sick.

I've gotten rid of my sinus infection but I've got seasonal allergies so the congestion and bit of a cough stick around. It's just annoying.

School is rolling along and after next week is fall break. We are going to Longleat Forest Center Parcs for four nights and Iceland for five nights. I'm looking forward to it. I hope none of us are sick then.

I had started to hope that maybe we could go ahead and move at the end of May but Lidia's exams go into June so we are not leaving until June 12. We will spend a week in Dothan then go to the beach for a week then home to Utah. We have rented a house on the beach with it's own pool down in Cape San Blas. It's not a touristy area, just vacation homes really. Amber, Mel and Micah are staying there too with their families. Maybe Dad and Heather will get to come down at least for a day. I'm looking forward to it. I guess Spain was our only hot beach time we have had since coming here. We will be such heat wimps after living here.

We're driving to Germany for Christmas, going to Ireland the week before Easter and may drive to Normandy during that break too. It's three weeks long. Then we will start prepping to move back. Cory and I may go on a Greece cruise in May and get someone to stay here with the kids. We'll see. We will move into a hotel June 2. They put you up ten days before you fly out. The kids will go to school until we leave.

As always, I really enjoyed conference weekend. I may use some quotes from conference in my RS lesson Sunday.

Avery's turning ten soon. How did my little guy grow up so fast? I've ordered some things for his birthday online. He's gonna love his presents. He basically loves all things Pokemon or Lego. Unlike his brothers who tend to build Legos and then leave them as models, he actually plays with them and builds many different things from them. He will spend days building something. It takes a long time to find all the pieces when you have so many to sort through. He's watching Pokemon on Netflix right now. They're old ones from 1997. They're still making new Pokemon series. It's been around for a long time.

Oh so this week is the Literature Festival here in Cheltenham. They have it every year. I've never really paid much attention to it because I'm not exactly an avid reader of novels so I don't know who most of the authors are but this year I have and now I'm kinda sad I didn't before. Also sad I didn't look through the listings carefully this year. The author of How to Train Your Dragon was here and we missed it. The kids have all the books and love the movies. I did go with Tristan and his IL class to see Henry Winkler though and it was awesome. He has a series of books called Hank Zipzer World's Greatest Underachiever. They are based on his childhood but funny. He is severely dyslexic. His parents and teachers were not nice about it. He grew up not understanding what was wrong with him until he was in his mid thirties and his son was diagnosed with dyslexia. He is very passionate about being positive and encouraging children and catering to those who learn differently. His talk was amazing. He is such a nice guy. Afterwards he stood and signed books and shook hands and took pictures with everyone in line. It was really cool. Cory and I went and listened to Nick Hornby's talk and it was interesting but he didn't sign books after which I was kind of bummed about. I wanted him to sign my About A Boy book. I am going to see Judi Dench and Emma Bridgewater later this week. My neighbor said that an author her son went to see with his class Friday cancelled and was replaced last minute by Cornelia Funke, Lidia's favorite author. I thought maybe she had other events that brought her here because she lives in LA and is originally from Germany. Sure enough she was speaking at the Literature Festival in Bath Saturday. I went online and bought tickets and found cheap train tickets and off Lidia and I went Saturday. It was great. Lidia and I were first in line after the talk and she got two of her books signed and she gave her a poster and a bookmark. She was really nice. David Almond was with her as well but I have not read his books but sounds like he's famous. Maybe  Cressida Cowell will have an event before we move. She's from London. Several other children's authors we are familiar with were here as well but most were sold out by the time I realized and many are on Sunday which stinks.