Monday, March 9, 2015

Matterhorn!

When we were in Switzerland last summer we didn't drive to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn because clouds were hiding it everyday. I thought one of us should see it and since you can ski all around it I looked into sending Cory there to ski. Then we asked Derek if he wanted to go and a plan started to be made. I got them flights into Turin and a cheap rental car and a kind of cheap apartment to stay in in Cervinia. It's easier and cheaper to get to the backside in Italy. The ski pass covers the entire area, so you ski in Italy and Switzerland. Cory said there were less clouds and better snow on the Swiss side. He and Derek had fun. They have not skiied in a while so their legs tired out before the end of the day but they managed to ski most of both days. The ski area is huge. They did some runs that were seven miles long and drop over six thousand feet in elevation. I was glad they got there safely and found their way around and returned home without injury or incident and that they had lots of fun. Cory bought himself a sweatshirt and all of us a tshirt. He also brought home some cannoli for us. They were good but I liked the ones in Rome better. These had a pastry more like cream puffs while the ones in Rome were more stiff and flaky like a cream horn at home. I need to find a good recipe. Anyway, we gobbled them up in minutes. I'll have to have Cory write about it on here. The long weekend flew by to me since I was busy at home but I was anxiously awaiting any updates and pics from Cory. I'd send texts bugging him if I didn't hear anything. They traveled on Thursday and skiied Friday and Saturday and came home Sunday. It was nice for Cory to see how nice it can be to take a fun trip without kids. One day we will do these trips together instead of with friends but someone has to keep the kids in line and just because they're older doesn't mean you can leave them. If anything, the damage they might do while unsupervised is much worse these days than when they were little. Parenting may be physically exhausting when they are little but it's mentally exhausting when they are older. Anyway, I'm so glad Cory had a fun time and that the weather was good for him while there and he saw the Matterhorn first hand and up close. Pretty cool!