Monday, February 23, 2015

Valentine's Day and half term break

The kids were home from school this past week for half term break. It's nice having breaks throughout the school year. They go five weeks and then they will be out for three weeks for Easter term break. We will travel a bit during that time and then they will come back and start exams. After five weeks off school they will get a week off for half term last week of May and then we will move out of the house into a flat in town for ten days and then fly back to the USA. It's gonna pass quickly.

On the Friday before Valentine's we had all of the 8-11 yr olds from church come over for movie night. We watched Big Hero 6 on a big screen using the Smith's projector. I made a ton of popcorn with my whirly pop. It was fun and it's a good movie. It's at the cinema here right now also.

On Valentine's Day Cory and I went into town and browsed around and then had dinner at Thai Emerald. They are not kidding when they say a dish is spicy. You never know. I'll be careful there from now on. I had to ask for more water to cool down.

On Sunday I taught half of the combined RS/ Priesthood lesson in the chapel. That was a first but I think it went well. I made some comments about men always teaching when we are combined and now they are letting us teach some too. I think it's good.

Monday we and our friends the Smiths went down to Lyme Regis and Charmouth for the day and went fossil hunting. We had a guide, Nigel, and he was good and telling us about the Jurassic coast and showed us what to look for and all. Avery may have been a bit disappointed that he didn't find a big Ichthyosaur like Mary Anning but he had fun finding lots of ammonites and belemnites. They let you keep whatever you find here. They just don't allow digging out the side of the cliffs but the cliffs are constantly collapsing into the sea and so the beach is covered in these ancient layers of soil full of fossils. Most are tiny but once in a while something larger will be found. The guy that has a little fossil shop on the beach found an ichthyosaur a few years back after heavy rains caused a big chunk of the cliff to collapse. We hung out on the beach in Lyme regis for a bit after our hunt and we got fish n chips and ice cream cones for lunch. Avery gave me a scare when I looked over and saw him running along the top of the sea wall which was a sheer drop into the sea on the one side. I was in line buying our food and Cory was off looking for an ATM. Aiden was supposed to be watching Avery. Luckily Avery heard me when I yelled his name as soon as I saw him and he stopped. I motioned for him to go back to the beach with everyone else and he did. I've had a few nightmares since then about him being careless and getting hurt or killed. My heart just sinks when I think of what could've happened.

Wednesday I took Lidia and Aiden with me on the bus to London. We went to the National Gallery which Lidia and I enjoyed but Aiden grew tired of quickly. We were there just over and hour and then  Aiden was saved by the fire alarm and we had to evacuate. It's ok though, I had seen what I wanted to see. We walked over to Chipotle and had dinner and then we went to see Matilda. We really enjoyed it. Aiden said it was better than he expected and he liked the choreography. Lidia said she liked the songs. I was amazed at the talent of those youngsters. I read the book on the bus on the way to London. Tristan had just read it so I took his copy from the school library to read. The show makes a few changes but not big ones. After the show we went and ate at Five Guys. We were loving the American food found in London. Then we walked back to Victoria station and got our bus home. We didn't get home until 3 am but we were able to sleep on the bus. It's a 2.5 to 3 hour ride from here to London.

Thursday we and some friends went to Magicland to take the kids to play but it was super busy and a long wait to get in so we left and went out to lunch and then back to our house and let the kids play video games for a little bit. I guess everyone rushes to the indoor playground on a rainy day. They need more things like that here. It's insane that we have to drive half an our to go to a place like that and then can't get in.

Friday we met the Smiths at the church and let the kids ride scooters in the gym and run around and play for a bit. After that we went to Subway for lunch. The tv in there shows music videos. Some of the ones that came on were very inappropriate for children to see, nearly pornographic. I told the kids not to look and I hurry and got our stuff and got out of there. Friday night was New Beginnings in Young Womens. At the beginning the YW president said some nice things about each girl about their talents and strengths. I guess Lidia was surprised I had said all of those nice things about her because she asked later if I had told Helen to say those things. It's easy as parents to find ourselves often telling the kids what they need to do better instead of telling them what they're doing right. I think I said that she doesn't feel the need to lower her values to be popular, she's confidently righteous, she's caring and nurturing to children and animals, does well in art drama and religious education at school etc. Each of the girls had to give a little talk. Lidia didn't know what to say so I just wrote something for her real quick. She did good and all of the girls sang Glorious which is a nice song. There are loads of good songs on the LDS youth web page and they are free to download. Most come from EFY soundtracks. Lidia and Aiden loved EFY. I need to register them to go this summer in Utah. I think I'll just send them to the one at Weber State this time. You go all day but sleep at home.

We took it easy this weekend and cleaned a bit and Cory and I went and helped some friends move furniture and then we went grocery shopping. We fed the elders last night as well as one of the new members, Maria. She is originally from Columbia but she and her family moved to London a few years ago and she is here going to school. Her mother and sister joined the church in London and told her about it and she called the elders here and told them she wanted to join too. She is smart and so cute. She is 24 but not done with university yet because she practically had to start over once moving here. The missionaries here are teaching a lot of university students and baptizing a lot of new members. It's amazing. I really admire the positive changes these people are making in their lives. I'm pretty sure some of them will go on missions themselves soon. I taught RS again this Sunday. We are short a teacher. I don't like teaching two Sundays in a row. I like to have more time than that to think about the topic and this week the kids were home so I didn't give it as much thought in general.

The owners have listed the house for sale. There was a viewing today so I cleaned this morning. I can't believe what they have it listed for. There is no way it's worth 650,000 pounds. I've looked at comps. I think it's worth more like 530,000 at most. The lady was talking about changes she might make if she buys it. Maybe it will get a much needed update if it sells. Perhaps people here list homes for their dream price but accept much less. That doesn't work in America. People will not want to fool with you trying to get more than your home is worth.

It's still quite chilly out but it's beginning to feel like spring with the days getting longer and flowers blooming. The daffodils, crocus, and snowdrops are in bloom. Cory is going skiing with Derek in Italy Thursday. Pray for his safety and good weather. He's excited.

We are in the process of booking movers, flights home, etc. which always involves so much more paperwork than it should. I need to file our taxes too. Yuck. I'm trying to get rid of some things. I don't want to take junk home with us. Apparently US customs is very picky and afraid of foreign dirt or bugs so we are not taking the trampoline or our patio table or swing back with us. We are giving them away. Tristan's friend, Dylan, gets the trampoline. Cory says that once back home he will probably miss England because he will only remember the good things. I told him there are things I will miss but those are things that can be enjoyed in a visit. I will happily live in America where the quality of life is much better and just visit other places when I can. I enjoy progress and modern conveniences. They don't get that here.

Avery spent a week looking for all the pieces to build this Harry Potter ship.

Big Hero 6 movie night

took the kids to the early morning movie Sat to see Book of Life

Starbucks hot chocolate

Thai Emerald for dinner

Valentines tulips

Cory and I made these. mmm

19 Valentines together
















We made a couple of stops on the way home.





Wells Cathedral

our fossils

pancake day!








I love the colors

Aiden said he didn't know Adam had an afro




one of my favorite paintings