Thursday, January 19, 2017

Farewell Lidia!

Why don't my pictures post in order? I am too lazy to move them. These last few days have been hard. I didn't really expect it. I really want her to go. I know it's the right thing. I know she needs these experiences to learn and to grow and I know that she was not getting that here at home. It was good for her to have time to work and be more independent but after a while that's just not enough.
However, when it got real it got hard. It was like I was in mourning for the loss of childhood. It was a realization that my kids are all growing up so fast. The simple days are gone. Older kids are complicated. Parenting from a distance will be new. It does help to focus on the things I will now do as her parent instead of thinking how sad it will be to not see her in person for 18 months. We dropped her off yesterday. I have cried a lot. She mostly just cries when she sees me cry. She seemed mostly nervous. I don't think she has been sleeping much the last week or days. We had to drag her out of bed practically yesterday. I think she is excited too though. We have not heard from her yet even though I know some kids emailed home that first night. Maybe her group didn't get told they could or maybe she thought she had nothing to say but it looks like she read the email I sent her. Since she has a tablet, they get their emails right away but they are supposed to wait till pday to respond. I will put all of her letters and pictures on a mission blog to be printed out afterwards. 
That way everyone can read her letters. She won't have time to respond to everyone individually. However, she better write us regularly! I may have to pester her about this in the beginning.
She has never been into detailed communication, no talking on the phone much or texting much or
emailing much. That will need to change a bit. On Tuesday she got her hair ombre colored to help it look nice as her roots grow and so she can keep some blonde but not have to go get it touched up every two months. Then we went to Antelope Island to take some pics and see some wildlife. It was cold! Then we had to get back for one last interview with the stake president and then at 9 pm the bishopric and stake presidency all came over to set her apart. I have never been there when someone was set apart. I didn't know what to expect. I texted my neighbor asking her if the whole family needs to put on church clothes. She said YES! So we all hurried to change clothes. The elders all had some nice things to say and then they and Cory stood in as the Stake President set her apart. I did so good until Lidia came over to give me a hug and then I cried and I think I cried a ton for the next 24 hours but try to do most of it when no one else is watching. lol

chukars





porcupine up in the tree





Lidia will miss her dogs so much and they will miss her too.

Officially Sister Newman

I was so mad our camera was on the wrong setting while we froze! I tried editing but it didnt 



winter baby buffalo


We saw a porcupine and Cory got out to get a closer look but it ran away and up a tree.

we saw several coyotes looking for food. One was diving into a mouse hole or something and others were chasing
antelope and others chasing birds.


drop off at the MTC day



That's her favorite skirt. She wore the necklace Shannon gave her. I know
she thinks about her a lot and prays for her to make better choices and
come back to church.

That's the MTC back there.


I hope she goes to the temple while at the MTC. We gave her family name cards.
The more she goes, the more she will get used to it and going with friends is
more fun than us old people. lol


long lines in drop off

These boys will miss their sister, especially Aiden.
He admitted to shedding 3 tears yesterday.
He says men are not supposed to cry much and I said that's
not true. He said Dad never cries. I said no, you just don't notice
because he does it quietly. lol






So hard to say goodbye to your child for 18 months!

The escort missionaries were very nice, Aiden even noticed.
He said that she was making nice friends already.
It was good that we brought the boys.

Avery being silly at Lidia's farewell brunch. He was also making people drag him across the
floor on the blanket. I know it's fun but he is getting too big and heavy for that. Avery has
also started to get a sassy mouth lately. We are having to crack down on that.

Little cousin Nicole is so cute! She will look a lot different in 18 months.


I guess the boys were sleepy after the farewell.

I forgot to take pictures of Lidia with everyone but we are so thankful to all who came:
Kelsey, Teresa, Grandma, Grandpa, Micah and family, Jay and family, Anderton family
and Carrie and Lily. Lidia did good on her talk that I practically wrote for her.
She was nervous and talking fast but that's to be expected. She's never given a
15 minute talk before. She had not been feeling well the day before. Maybe the
kids had a milder version of the horrible virus I had the weekend before.
I was so sick vomiting and all. I didn't come out of my room for three days.
I really hate it. The kids just seemed to get an upset stomach.
Anyway, all was well for the farewell and after sacrament meeting we came
home and all had quiche, muffins, fruit, chocolate milk, and juice.
It was a nice morning and I was glad to get that over with. 

The kids decided to go get a look at the porcupine in the tree.

lovely sunsets over the Salt Lake

I had to get a picture with Micah Lisa and Oliver!
They came by Tuesday night and gave Lidia a nice journal.
She took it with her to the MTC. 
Before leaving Lidia watched a lot of her favorite movies. She worked up until the Friday before so she deserved some time to just rest before setting out on a very busy and hard working 18 months. We have been told that all of the sisters in her mission drive cars. So instead of buying a bike we may have to send her a GPS. The mission home says most missionaries prefer their own bedding so I ordered her blankets and pillows and a laundry hamper online and had it mailed to the mission home. She has her sheets in her suitcase. She had plenty of clothes packed. I hope she can keep everything neat clean and organized with all the moving she will do.

It is snowing all day today. Thank you so much, Heavenly Father, for giving us a beautiful sunny day yesterday. We were even getting a bit hot with the sun shining so strong even though the weather was in the 20's. Can't wait to get an email from Lidia. Time to get 2016 blog book printed. The kids love them and Lidia asked right after the new year if I had ordered it yet and I was like, umm no, gotta get caught up first. lol