Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Birthday!

Yes, we get to celebrate three holidays over break. It went by so fast. I thought staying home and relaxing would make it seem longer but it didn't. I had to be sure to plan ahead for Christmas since I do most of our shopping online from the states and it takes a couple of weeks for it to get here, or longer. Most things made it on time. We are still awaiting the arrival of Avery's plush dog. Did you lose it Ty? The kids got gifts like headphones, clothes, movies, games, lego sets, playmobil, rc cars, pjs and slippers, sandwich cutters, crepe maker, etc. We got a blu ray player and Cory got a mandolin slicer and a bright yellow coat to wear while riding his bike. England is all into high visibility wear. I got an anniversary band. I know it's Christmas not my anniversary but who cares. I've wanted a diamond band since we got married but we didn't want to spend the money on one then.  I also got a black wool coat. The kids got money which the boys quickly spent on toys and video games. Lidia hasn't spent a dime yet. She is getting harder to buy for. She's not always wanting more like her brothers.

I had no idea what to get Lidia for her birthday but then she destroyed our karaoke machine by plugging it in to the wall without a transformer. The kids don't seem to get that some things are not dual voltage and just because you put an adapter on the plug doesn't make it work. So Lidia got a new karaoke machine for her birthday and the new one is better. Our old one required specific karaoke discs and a tv to plug it into. The new one you just download the musixmatch app and put your iPad on the stand and plug it into the base and it mutes the voice, or you can leave it on if you want to sing along, and you sing to your music that you already have on your iPad. The app shows the lyrics on your iPad screen as the song plays. Of course, there may be some odd songs that it can't find the lyrics to but most are there. Lidia sang her heart out for two days straight. It has two microphones and you can plug in instruments if you like. I am also taking her to the Taylor Swift concert in London next month. On her birthday we took the train in to London and walked through Hyde Park, went to the Natural History and Science museums, walked down to Harrod's where we looked at a bunch of expensive toys, took a cab to Oxford Circus where we walked around and enjoyed all of the Christmas lights and shop windows and ate dinner at the food hall in Selfridges. Lidia had Krispy Kreme donuts there for her birthday cake. Then we walked back to Paddington Station and got the train home.

Before Christmas we had our ward Christmas party and the primary did the nativity. Avery was a shepherd and Tristan was Joseph. He even sang a little solo. He said the only reason he did it was because he likes the girl that was Mary. Silly boy. At least he did it. I didn't even remember to take any pics or video, not sure if anyone else did.

We also went to Cardiff one day over break. We first went to Caerphilly Castle then into Cardiff city. We walked around the harbor and went to the Dr Who Experience, ate dinner at Wagamamas, and then saw Singing in the Rain. It was a fun day and the weather was nice too.

As soon as Christmas was over I started trying to plan our travels for 2014. It's a huge undertaking.
Living on this island makes things more complicated than it needs to be. We are lucky in the US that we can just get in our car and drive all over without complication. We are booked to head to Italy in April. I must be mad because we will be in Rome Easter weekend. Maybe everyone else will be at the Vatican while we see other sights. I could get free tickets to Easter Mass with the Pope but I don't think I can sit for two hours or more with thousands of other people listening to mass in a language I don't understand and I'm certain the kids will not want to. Maybe we can stop by for his Wednesday afternoon blessing before we leave and just wave to him on his balcony.

We are flying into Pisa and staying at the US base near there for five nights. We will explore Tuscany, Florence, and the Cinque Terre from there. We are renting a van. Then we will drive down to see Pompeii and the Amalfi coast for three nights. I'm still trying to work out where we will stay. There is a base in Naples but it may not have openings. After that we will drive into Rome and return our rental car and stay in the city right by the Coliseum for four nights and then fly home from there.

In May we are for certain going to southwest Wales and heading out to Skomer island to see the puffins. I have not decided yet if we will just stay there a while or head over to Ireland. I am not happy to spend over 300 pounds for a ferry to get over there and back. Also, looking at pictures it just seems like Scotland and we were just there. In July we plan to go to Switzerland and maybe Iceland in October. If it were not so expensive I would just hire a travel agent.

The kids got to have a nice relaxing break. They played and watched lots of movies. We even got the wii out and let them play one day. They were not excited to go back to school. Aiden said the only good thing about it was getting to show his cool new school bag. There is a trendy store here called Superdry. Everything is so overpriced. He has a belt from there and he has been wanting a bag because other kids at school have one. So he and Lidia got overpriced bags for Christmas. I got Tristan a new bag too but it's a Captain America messenger bag. It was not expensive. Kids here tend to prefer messenger bags not rucksacks(backpacks).

Winter is always hard but especially here with the days being so short. My body gets all out of sync and sleeping regularly becomes an issue for me. Avery gets really grumpy and upset when he feels he has been robbed of his playtime. He may not realize that's what it is but I have noticed. He needs time to play outside in the sun and the weather and darkness in the winter don't let him. He is at least very happy today because his last lego set he ordered came in so he gets to build it after school. Aiden ordered a magic set that also came in. The guy at the store was very good at the trick. We'll see if Aiden will be dedicated enough to practice and pull off the tricks as well. Everything in London is so overpriced. We found the same magic set online for one fifth of the price at Harrod's.

I am still serving in the Primary presidency and working on lots of things for the new year and Cory is still Elder's Quorum President. However, we will be getting a completely new bishopric this Sunday so things could change up. Bishop Vernon is retiring and moving home to St George, Utah. One of our councilors was called to the stake presidency and the other will be going on a mission soon. Our RS president is also leaving for a mission soon. Lots of changes coming to the Cheltenham ward. We have a nice ward here. We really love the people and all of the missionaries who serve here.

Lidia and Aiden are supposed to be memorizing scripture mastery for seminary and Tristan and Avery the articles of faith. They have not been motivated so I told them I would give them a pound for each one they memorized. Aiden immediately went to his room and memorized two. The others still need reminding. I'm glad at least one of my kids has a bit of motivation to do something. Aiden is always quick to help out with chores and such and sets goals for himself to learn new things. He likes going to kickboxing class with Cory and has worked to be able to do pull-ups on the bar in his room. I don't know if I'll ever get him to complete his Duty to God or Lidia to complete her Personal Progress. They'll probably cram to finish it their last year in mutual.

My brother, Micah, got a management position with Kohl's so they are moving to Rapid City, South Dakota this month. I am happy for him. He is good at his job. I'm sure he will keep moving up. He's on a Caribbean cruise with his wife and her family right now. I'd like that about now.


our Christmas onesies, onesies are very big here

still a bit taller than his brother

Santa came, we can sleep now.

rubbish!

Cory is now high vis!

Time for Christmas crackers!
We had a fun Christmas feast of various things like deviled eggs, pigs in a blanket, pulled pork sandwiches,
coleslaw, strawberry shortcake, rhubarb crisp, roasted potatoes, cinnamon rolls, grapes etc.


Carrie sent me my favorite chocolates!
It's just not Christmas without chocolate covered cherries.
Thanks Carrie!

Tristan's car is good at climbing.

The rc cars are fun. Avery's can go in water too. We tested it out in the tub.

Yes, blu ray does actually look better.

I took the kids to Magicland. They love it.

Avery made these cookies at school.

Avery's friends Charlie and Emre had a birthday party at the climbing
center. It was a fun place. Avery was pretty scared of the climbing.
I bribed him to get him to try.

Avery and Ibi at the birthday party

The boys bowled on base while I bought groceries.
Cory wearing his no cut gloves

I love the German cookies and tins I get on base.

We left a honeybun and a German cookie out for Santa and carrot sticks for the reindeer.
Cory is trying out some of his new hot sauces on a taco.
mmm Lebkuchen

my present

Aiden's car is controlled by his iPod and the car radio plays your iPod tunes. It goes fast has gull wing doors that
open and close, blinkers and headlights that work etc. It's pretty cool. This is his start to driver's ed. hee hee









a nice lady let them help her feed the birds

the rain nicely fills in the moat on the model
This tower was blasted apart ages ago but the remains stand strong leaning over.
"Holding up the leaning tower"

nice big fireplaces back then





We were walking along the wall until the top part disappeared, then I made them walk on the ground.
I didn't feel like saving them from the river, or moat.






They had a video showing in this round room in the castle telling the history. They spare no gory details here.
Animated blood spilling and gut ripping out is the norm.

Caerphilly castle

nice day to be out

silly teens

pierhead building


lighthouse boat

That's the Dr Who building back there.







All of the Dr's costumes. The Dr Who Experience was fun enough.
However, it was pricey for what you get. Harry Potter Experience is better.


Avery bought a Dalek. I was not impressed with Wagamama's.
Millenium Center Cardiff



Millenium Center-In These Stones Horizons Sing
the rest is the Welsh version



Tristan and Aiden bought 11th Dr Sonic Screwdrivers.
I had to confiscate it during the show.

I walked into the restroom and thought I was lost in a hallway.
Those are the stalls on the right. They don't leave
gaps around the doors here like in the US.

Cory got in a quick nap before the show started.

I loved the show. Look at Avery back there about to escape.

these Steiff animals cost thousands of pounds

Tristan has the smaller version at home.


 late train ride home

I told Lidia this was when she actually turned sixteen because she was born in the afternoon and UT time. :)






These windows were cool, household items made to look like animals.



We love the movie Frozen and it's soundtrack.

Regent Street and Oxford Street do lights in London.
That's about as festive with the lights as England gets.
However, the New Year's fireworks were amazing.
We might have to go see it in person next year.

London taxi ride

Harrods

The Science museum didn't have a long line at least.
The Smithsonians in DC are lots better.




The NH Museum is in a cool building

Science Museum

Lidia wants a tiny three wheeled BMW like this. 




Avery knew a lot about the dinosaurs. The kids got excited when we saw some from UT.


Waiting in line at the NH Museum

We didn't go for the ice skating. It looked crowded and really wet.


Journey through the center of the earth at the natural history museum



Our church in London is right across the street from the museums.

Hyde park



Can you believe Lidia is 16?!