Thursday, March 27, 2014

Old and frail?

That's how we feel sometimes. Old. Ha ha! Cory's previous problem finally went away by taking the medicine. Now a yucky cold is making it's rounds in the house and I'm not feeling too great and Cory fell off his bike and broke his arm. Luckily it is at the end of his radius at the elbow and all the tissues and ligaments around it hold the bone together while it heals so he doesn't need a cast. Wearing a cast really stinks so we are so glad. He is slowly moving it more and has gotten most movement in his arm back. He is able to drive my car but not the stick. I am never buying a standard transmission car again. What a pain. I have been taking him to work but today he booked a spot and just drove in himself since I wasn't going anywhere today. Tomorrow I have an eye exam so I'll need the car. He may take the bus to work.
All of Cory's bike incidents have only involved himself. He's never been hit or crashed into someone else. It's more like a moment of distraction or carelessness or misjudge how wet and slick it is or whatever. This time he had taken one hand off and when he went to go all his weight was on one side of the handlebars so they turned sharp and down he went. He was distracted by a driver who had the right of way but stopped to be nice and let him go. I think it makes you feel like you better hurry up and go but you were prepared to wait and then you just do it and he fell and felt stupid. He says he hates it when people do that. Just obey the road rules! Don't be polite and stop and make me hurry and go! I told him that from now on if someone stops just motion them to keep going because you don't want them there watching you cross. ;)
So for three weeks Cory is not to push, pull, or carry anything heavier than a teacup says the doctor. And he is not allowed to bike for a month. When we asked if he could drive an automatic the doctor looked a bit confused and said he had never driven one and asked what do you do with your left arm when driving one and so we told him and he said it would be ok after the first week if Cory felt like he could. Today was the first time he drove, almost a week since the fall, and he said he was fine but doesn't want to try the stick shift for a while. April 11 we go to Italy where he will have to drive a stick. That's exactly three weeks after the fall so it should be fine.