Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Greece!

My trip to Greece was very nice. It was so warm and sunny. I have a tan and a bit of peeling skin to prove it. It was dry though. I was using chap stick and lotion a lot, something I haven't used much for years. It was nice to hang out with Carrie again and see the sights and relax too. We met in the Athens airport. My flight was a bit late but she didn't have to wait too long. She and our driver were there waiting for me as soon as I walked out. We booked a trip through Mediterra travel and it worked out really well. They booked all of our hotels and transportation and gave us information everywhere we went. The beds are not too comfy, pretty hard, but I managed to sleep about 6 hrs a night. I was ok until about a week of that and then I was feeling tired. After nine nights away I crashed when I got home and enjoyed a couple of nights of sleeping 10 hours. In Athens we saw the historical sights and walked through all of the street markets. Souvenirs are cheaper in Athens than the islands. Maybe everything is actually. Our hotel was in a good location. We walked everywhere.

After two nights in Athens we took the ferry to Mykonos. On the way we stopped at another island and these guys came on the boat selling something. I asked the guy at the desk what they were selling and he said they were special sweets made on that island. I bought some not having any idea what they were. I figured if we didn't like it I was at least being nice and supporting their hard work. We tasted them at the hotel later and did not like it at all. It reminded me of Turkish delight which is something I have only seen here in the UK and don't like it. It's rose flavored gummy candy but a bit softer than your usual gummies and with a dusting of powder sugar on the outside. I don't like to eat flowers. We just left it in the hotel fridge. Maybe the maids like it.

In Mykonos we stayed on the outskirts of town but still within walking distance. We walked around the beach and harbor and got lost a few times in the windy narrow passages in the white village on the water. We checked out the old windmills and enjoyed nice seafood while watching the sun set. We also met the local pelican. He's big and a bit of a light pink color. We also spent a day relaxing on a nice beach which we took the bus to get to. We walked over to another beach that was secluded and there were nudists there so we went back to the other beach and rented nice comfy chairs with an umbrella and ordered a sushi lunch which was yummy and had Thai massages on our feet and legs. It was great. We thought we might go explore some ruins that afternoon but we decided to just stay and relax. Carrie had her first encounter with topless beach goers as we sat there chatting with the nice French lady next to us who was wearing only a tiny thong. I'm always chatty and meeting people when we travel. Carrie really isn't that way but she doesn't seem to hate me for it. lol I like meeting new people. It's interesting.

After two nights in Mykonos we took the ferry to Naxos and spent two nights there. It's much quieter than the other places. I kind of felt bad they didn't have more customers there but we enjoyed the more relaxing atmosphere. Our hotel was cute and in town right by a lovely greek restaurant called the Oasis. The owner was super nice and friendly. Loved him so much and it was a very pretty atmosphere. We ordered pizza and maybe that wasn't the right thing to order. We discovered we don't like pizza in Greece too much. He gave us free dessert after though. I think he gives everyone free drinks or dessert after their meal. We were also a short walk from the beach and harbor which was nice. There is a walkway to a small island in the harbor where there was a temple. All that is left is what looks like a window. You stand up there and the town is behind you but you look ahead and see nothing but beautiful blue water, so clean and clear, and some islands in the distance. It's so pretty out there in the Agean sea. On our second day we rented a car from the place right across the street and drove all over the island checking out some pretty beaches and ancient sights. We came across some nudists again so we didn't explore that end of the beach. We did find lots of tiny sea shells though. Very pretty and dainty. We drove up to the highest point and had some awesome views and drove past the quarry where they cut all of their marble out of the mountain. It's pretty cool to see. That huge Caterpillar truck looked tiny next to the giant cuts of marble out of the mountain. We also walked into town one evening exploring the old castle area. We walked up and down many steep streets in Greece.

Our last ferry stop was for three nights in Santorini. We stayed in the main town of Fira. Our hotel was in a good location but on a busy road so we didn't open the windows or it would be loud. Luckily everywhere we stayed had air conditioning. It was in the 70's and 80's the entire time. One day may have even hit 90. They said it had been much cooler the week before. We were lucky and I am very grateful. Fira has lots of shops and restaurants but they are more on straight paths instead of the maze in Mykonos. You are literally perched at the top cliff of a volcano wall over looking the caldera where the center collapsed on itself after exploding many years ago. All of the white buildings are really beautiful and the blue domed churches pretty too. I don't love the overly ornate inside of the Greek Orthodox churches though. Catholic one was more refined. We enjoyed the shopping and eating in Fira and the sunsets and we took the bus out to see the ruins of Akrotiri which is like twice as old as Pompeii. Crazy. We also took the bus to Oia to explore the pretty town on the cliff and get pics of all the pretty blue domed churches. There were lots of honeymooners and destination weddings on the islands and they seemed to be mostly American or Asian. The Asian people had photographers and were having photo shoots in their wedding dresses everywhere. On our last day we took a boat tour around the caldera and there was a big wedding party from the states on there with us. The one couple was to be married there the next day and all of their friends and family had come along. It was a bit annoying like we were crashing someone else's wedding party but we still enjoyed our time on the big old wooden sail boat and the dinner was ok for a buffet and the sunset was nice. We didn't jump in the freezing cold water for a half hour swim like some did. We just watched them freeze but we did get off and hike around the volcano craters for an hour and a half even though I had injured my calf again that morning. I went for a swim in the hotel pool. It wasn't cold like the Agean. When I jumped in I pulled my left calf muscle which has had a strain for over a month now. I thought it was better and then I went and ruined it by jumping. lame. So I have been limping a bit and trying not to strain it more. We met a nice lady from Chicago on the boat. She works for the Wrigley chewing gum company and had worked in some vacation time with her business trip. She was alone but made friends so that's good. I bought some nice silver earrings while there. I love the Greek Byzantine style jewelry. I rarely find jewelry I like so I bought three pair. I couldn't afford the 18k gold ones, the silver was expensive enough because it's really intricate work by Gerochristo in Athens. Cory approved and was happy I found something nice that I like. I bought him a Greece football jacket, all of the kids "ray ban" sunglasses (who knew Greece sold fake expensive sunglasses for cheap lol), Avery a hat and a flag which he requested, Tristan a slingshot and worry beads (Avery was jealous of the sling shot, worry beads look like prayer beads and the Greek men carry them around playing with them to lessen stress), Aiden a hat and a t shirt that says It's all Greek to me! followed by translations of sayings from English to Greek, and Lidia a silver charm of the Greek key which is the symbol of wisdom and health and a change purse that says Greece all over it. I also got myself some funny hand made wool slippers that look like the Greek soldiers shoes with the pom pom over the toe, a couple of small pottery pieces with Greek gods painted on them, and a couple of hand painted bowls. As much as I like Greek food, I have discovered it's very limited and I got sick of eating the same things. That's why I had sushi a couple of times on the trip. Most restaurants served only Greek food but we did find a couple of Asian ones. I also had a hot dog once. I tried some dim sum but it wasn't good.

On Sunday, Mother's Day, I got up at 5:30 Greece time which is 3:30 in the UK. The driver picked us up and took us to the airport. We waited for our flight and flew to Athens and then we waited for Carrie's flight and I said goodbye to her and then waited for my flight. Then I flew for over four hours and landed in London and went through immigration and then to the bus station where I had to wait a few more hours for my bus which then was a two hour drive. Finally after 15 hours of travel and waiting I was finally home! It was so good to get back home with my family. I missed them lots.

Now we are busy getting ready to pack out. The movers come June 1. We will stay in a flat in town and then fly to the states on June 12. We are taking a stopover in Houston and driving to AL to spend a week in my home town and a week in a beach house in FL and then we will drive back to Houston and fly to SLC on June 30. We are looking forward to getting home but I will surely miss some of my friends here and the beautiful green countryside and cute villages. It's been a good time here. We have people lined up to buy our cars before we go so hopefully that all goes smoothly. Aiden took his exams last week and Lidia started hers this week. Tristan has his the week before we leave. Lidia's are more spread out. She has her last one June 9th so that will be their last day of school. We were going to give the trampoline to our neighbor but it won't fit in their yard so Cory says he will take it apart and clean it and just ship it home. We shall see if it passes the strict customs inspection. We are just paying the 400 pounds to have the house cleaned after we move out. I just can't be bothered on top of everything else. Our house did sell. The new owners take possession soon after we move out. They seem very nice. Today the guy came to do the home inspection for them and he smelled gas when he opened the cupboard where the meter is in the front entry way. I had always noticed it but thought it was ok because the property management sends out a guy who does an annual inspection. This guy said no, call the Gas company asap. So I called and they came within the hour and found three leaks. 3 leaks! How long have we been slowly poisoned by natural gas? Geesh! He repaired two and the one outside he just turned off the valve. We have hot water but can't use the fireplace, not that I ever really use it anyway. I'll be so glad not to live in this old house anymore.