Thursday, May 12, 2016

American Doctors and hospitals are so expensive!

Oh my goodness, after years of relatively zero health issues and then living overseas with national healthcare, I am in a bit of shock at how much money everything here costs. No joke that Americans pay for the world's health care in that we pay for all of the research and technology that comes from our country. I'm glad I have options and I'm glad we have a good healthcare system but I am a bit shocked at how much the hospital is charging me for an outpatient surgery procedure. I am requesting a billing audit because I am being charged twice what the estimate was. The billing people want me to just accept it and pay it but I want an explanation and justification. I feel like they can just charge as much as they want with no reason. Insane. We need more competitive health care to bring the costs down. Private care in England is cheaper because most people don't have insurance and just settle for NHS. I cancelled the cruise Cory and I were going to take for our 20th anniversary this summer because I have a ton of medical bills. So annoying. Stupid uterus. I guess it's good if I don't die from cancer but the odds were in my favor anyway and I feel like all of this has been a big pile of money and time taken from me and caused me nothing but pain and stress. The obgyn wanted me to take provera or get a shot or IUD that lasts even longer and then get a biopsy every three months. I was like no way are you cutting my insides every three months. It hurts! I've read bad things about those medicines. I didn't want to take them. She said if I did just three months on meds and if I then still had abnormal cells she would do a hysterectomy. Well I don't exactly want major surgery but it would be better than taking poison and being tortured every three months. At least you are unconscious for surgery. So I agreed to take the provera because if it made me feel bad I could quit. You can't do that with a shot or IUD. Well let me tell ya, that Provera was horrible! I was cramping and bleeding worse than before, I felt like I was mentally off like angry all the time or on the verge of tears. I had pain in my legs and was afraid of blood clots. It was bad stuff. I lasted ten days then quit that junk. I started reading about natural progesterone and had a friend recommend a doctor that specializes in bio identical hormone treatment. I was happy to try it out. He put me on natural progesterone and it's a prescription from the pharmacy. Why didn't my doctor give me this option? I have no idea. I have been a lot better on it but I still get tired more easily and keep pulling muscles and tendons like I did when I was pregnant. Hormones! Also, he actually drew my blood to test my hormone levels instead of just giving me meds without any bloodwork. He is also checking my thyroid. He does a more in depth analysis and treats with the natural thyroid hormones that studies show help symptoms more than synthroid. I am going to take Cory and Tristan to see him about their thyroid.

On a whole different issue, I have finally decided to take the boys to an attention disorders specialist in Salt Lake. Paying attention shouldn't be so hard and Aiden and Avery have real quality of life issues that it interferes with. They miss half of what's going on so they are behind in every way, not just academic. Tristan has had struggles in school but also impulse control in life choices that was really scaring me. This doctor has been doing this a long time and he does tests that others don't do, current technology that actually quantitatively tests and diagnoses disorders like ADHD. I never tried medication before because it seemed so random and not thought out. This guy is different. So Tristan and Aiden definitely have attention disorders but in different ways. They are both on a stimulant right now and while it's helped Tristan, he says he feels tired sometimes but does focus better. We are trying different doses to see what works best and then I have a non stimulant we can try over the summer to see if that works better. Or maybe if his thyroid improves a lot that will have an effect and he won't need meds. We will see.

Aiden though, oh my, I feel bad now for not medicating him sooner. It's like he has come to life. He is more social. I've had more conversation with him than ever. He says he's actually talking to kids at school. He says he actually knows what's going on in class and can listen. He is able to focus and finish assignments much more quickly. He wants that pill every morning. He was so giddy the first day with excitement. It makes me so sad, like he's been living in the fog all these years trying so hard to see but couldn't and now he finally can. We just started him on it this week so we will see how it continues to go but obviously something in his brain wasn't connecting and the medicine helps it connect. Maybe he will be able to learn to drive after all. I was beginning to think he couldn't because he couldn't stay focused while driving and went right through a red light a couple of times. We are lucky he and Cory were not hit! I can't beat myself up about the past though because I have prayed about these issues forever and I never felt good about it before but now that they are older I feel differently about it. There's more at stake now if they can't control their own lives. It's way more than grades. I can't justify it just for grades. That's not super important to me. I keep a close watch on them though and take their blood pressure and try my best to make sure they eat and drink enough. It can suppress the appetite and my boys can not stand to lose weight. I am also watching their sleep.

I haven't taken Avery to this doctor yet. I will this summer.

Lidia is doing well in school and about to graduate! It's crazy that I have an adult child. She wants to go on a mission in January. That means we start working on paperwork in August! She goes to mission prep every Tuesday night and several of her guy friends have just got their mission calls and leave this summer. With her going in January, they'll all get back around the same time. She's a super sweet girl. We are lucky to have her. I am glad she is not so into boyfriends like many girls her age. She has guy friends but she doesn't seem romantically interested in anyone. Good! lol She still plays pokemon with her little brothers. Hopefully she will get a job and her drivers license sometime this summer but I'm not looking forward to the hike in insurance costs.