Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Drums and things


Yes, we bought a drum set! Avery is taking lessons at school.
This is the instrument he showed the most interest in so we
are giving it a try. The lessons at junior school are only 45 pounds
per term for one lesson a week. It's a good deal. Plus I don't have to take him
to lessons because it's done at school. His is a one on one lesson, some are groups.
Aiden and I are learning too via online lessons.

Lidia year 10

Aiden year 9

Tristan year 7

This is the one I ordered so I'll have it in full resolution without the word proof across it soon.
Tristan's cast doesn't quite make it through the entire sleeve so his coat doesn't fit well now.
The cast comes off in two days!

I think baby gifts are fun and I like personalized things.
The friend this was for is a southerner too.
She gets it. :)

This is the first card and envelope I've made with my cricut wild card cartridge.
I really like that you can make matching envelopes.
I made the card smaller on purpose because I wanted to be sure it fit in the envelope.
I'll try it larger next time.
Today I went to what I call Avery's IEP meeting. You know where you meet with the specialist and teacher to discuss the plan for his education. Here the special education teacher is called the inclusion coordinator. I like the one here at Glenfall very much. I am just getting to know Avery's new teacher but she seems very nice and she is also the reading specialist for the school and she has a son with autism spectrum disorder so she has the compassion and understanding needed to work with Avery. They are going to move forward with the process of having him evaluated by an educational psychologist to check for any autism spectrum disorder which he clearly shows signs of. I am supportive of it because these tests show where their strengths and weaknesses lie so that proper teaching methods can be used and any interventions or accommodations given. They are already working with him a lot to accommodate the fact that he seems to only be able to learn visually. I am so thankful for good teachers with kindness and willingness to learn how to teach ALL children, not just the easy ones. They have good ideas and implement them. They are not just ignoring the issue like so many in the past have and they are not asking me what's wrong with my kid and what am I going to do about it. They are helping me and my child learn and grow just as a teacher should. I am so appreciative and Avery is happy at school. I am not sure why all four of my kids have education struggles but I have to believe there is a good reason and that one day this struggle will become a great strength. They just have to find their niche.

Many prayers for those who lost loved ones in that terrible Naval Yard shooting in Washington DC yesterday. So sad.

Cory is at the office in Harrogate today. He took the train up there yesterday and will be back this afternoon. I'm glad it was just one night. I don't sleep well when he is away. I let Lidia and Aiden miss seminary today. I was not about to leave Tristan and Avery home alone to take Lidia and Aiden and I certainly didn't want to make Tristan and Avery wake up at six so we could all take Lidia and Aiden to seminary. We just all got up at 7 and got ready for school. It's just one day. Cory does the early morning seminary run. I think seminary is great. I think that getting up and going to church and studying scriptures before school everyday for the last four years of school sounds a bit nuts but I know it's a great thing to do. I did it when I was a teen. My attendance wasn't perfect but I did my best and I could really see the difference it makes in your day. Starting your day with prayer and scripture study reminds you what's important in life, reminds you of those important things that might easily be forgotten or never learned in those years of youth. Plus we just shouldn't make things too easy for these spoiled kids right?! hee hee ;)

Oh and last night the power went out again. It's strange. They must be having some issues in town. It has never gone out until last week it was out one morning while we were getting ready for school (luckily it's not dark out at that time yet) and last night it went out right when I was about to make dinner. Both times it was out for about an hour or so. I couldn't cook so we just ordered pizza last night. When I called Pizza Hut the girl asked me if I was Polish. It was funny. I have been asked if I am Canadian and if I am Spanish but never Polish. I think that my living different places has made me sound quite confusing. I'm a southern girl with a bit of east coast, rocky mountain, and west midlands mixed in. West midlands is the area of the UK I live in. Of course, they say Cheltenham has it's own distinct sound as it's supposed to be all posh. There really are so many different British accents. So anyway, this pizza girl chatted with me a bit and I told her I grew up in Alabama and she went on about how she loved my accent. I have never had someone want to have a conversation with me before when I call to order pizza. I guess I shouldn't try to say things like they do here and just let all my southern drawl hang out. ;)