On Saturday we stopped at Lydford Gorge on our way home. The property is owned by the National Trust so you have to pay if you don't have a membership but it's worth it. It's located right on the west border of Dartmoor. It may be considered part of Dartmoor but it's questionable. The river Lyd flows through this gorge and it's a very pretty 3 mile circular walk. There are some spots that may make you nervous with a narrow rocky path on a cliff but they have metal bars on the wall of the gorge for you to hold on to. I was just afraid the kids wouldn't hold on so I kept reminding them to and Tristan kept singing "hold to the rod the iron rod...". We also lined up with a parent anchoring each end to keep the kids from wandering off or falling in the river. I know Cory and Aiden thought I was overdoing it but safety is best. I think ahead to prevent catastrophe, they don't. Anyway, it was a nice couple of hours and then we headed home. The traffic was kind of slow for a while but not as bad as on our way down. But really England, you need better bigger roads. There are many things I like about England but three things I will never understand or like the lack of modernization in: plumbing, electrical and roads.
Oh before the hike through the gorge Tristan picked up a pamphlet about what birds to look for and identify and there was a pamphlet identifying the plants. I learned that the white flowering plant covering the forest floor was wild garlic. I knew it smelled savory so it made sense. The guy said the leaves are good in salad so Cory tasted one when we were out walking and it was spicy. There are several leaves they use in salads here that are pretty spicy. Rocket is very peppery.
 |
Avery wanted the money, but it wouldn't come out. We said money really does grow on trees. lol |
 |
| stopping for a snack |
 |
| lots of wild garlic |
 |
| the White Lady waterfall |
 |
| Tristan was getting a bit nervous with all that rushing water down below. |
 |
| no one slipped and fell that day but ME |
 |
| skipping stones, I think they could do it all day |
 |
| found a beetle |
 |
| found a little fish |
 |
| devil's cauldron |
 |
| that one stair section has not rail so it was kind of scary |
 |
| this part does actually have wires to stop you from falling in |
 |
| smelling the garlic |
 |
| kids found an inchworm |
 |
| you don't realize how far down you are until you come out |
 |
| taking a rest after walking up the hill |