Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Tintagel

Tintagel is supposedly where the legend of King Arthur originated. The cave under it is called Merlin's cave. There is not much proof, only stories but there is enough evidence to suggest that there was a King Arthur in that area and perhaps the nearby town of Camelford is where Camelot came from. They think that many kings after called themselves Arthur because of the great legend behind the name. They had some artifact with old Cornish writing on it. Cornwall was it's own country at one time and celtic like Wales. Whether you believe the stories or not, it's a cool place to explore with beautiful views. If you go be prepared for a hike and a workout full of stairs but it's worth it. We didn't have to pay because we have an English Heritage membership. We did pay to eat lunch at the cafe and wished we had chosen to eat in the village instead. It wasn't bad but the food in the shops we saw while walking back to the car looked much better. It was a beautiful sunny day and Cory saw some of his coworkers there too. I spotted a family in which the son was wearing a Real Salt Lake jersey and the dad was wearing a Cody Wyoming shirt so of course I had to speak to them. They said that they have a son that lives in Chicago and that they go visit him every summer and drive around exploring the USA and it's national parks. They said they plan to see the Grand Canyon this summer. I told them we lived just north of Salt Lake but are exploring this part of the world for a few years. They were nice.
What a good lookin' guy I have.



The kids' lunches came in these pails.






The water was so clear and blue. It was low tide. During high tide this entire area is full of water. It's amazing how far the water goes in and out between tides here.






If you make faces at me when I take your picture, I'll have to post it for all to see.;)

Gotta take a rest once in a while.


Everyone liked the Cornish ice cream. It's made with Cornish clotted cream. I guess Cory was tired.



This area has lots of slate so you see lots of it in fences and things. The area where we live has limestone.